Sourcing from this page, I'm interested in how to choose the best containers for samples while scanning.
I've heard @eustatic distinguish between long-term storage, which could be in a cool, dark place, in glass, for most substances -- and short-term containers, which must:
- be optically extremely clear
- not be soluable in the solvent used (not a big problem for mineral oil, but isopropyl or diesel can dissolve different plastics)
- so it doesn't melt the container
- so the sample doesn't get contaminated by the melted material from the container
- not leak while you're using it
- be cheap -- <$1 each, hopefully!
- be small -- so light can shine through it, and not too much sample is required
- anything else?
There are actually resources across this site to answer this question; I'm just trying to get it all into one place!