A Catalogue of Civic Open Hardware Projects
Beyond Modifying Your Honda Civic
Civic open hardware projects are surprisingly difficult to find. Google results are littered with ways to modify your Honda Civic. As a proud owner of a 2000 Honda Civic with just over 108,000 miles, I appreciate this. That said, it's not quite what we're looking for.
The phrase "civic open hardware" hasn't become as common place as "open gov" or "open data", and the phrase "civic hacking" has been passively defined to mean tools that primarily use software.
Defining Civic Open Source Hardware
The word "civic" is a pretty all encompassing term; indeed, a fun challenge is to find something in our lives in which civics to does not play a role. The definition need not be limited to things we normally associate with government. One guiding principle might be that it should involve community and participation.
There has been a fair amount written about defining "civic hacking" (links to articles in the future. For this page, the goal is to have a collection of projects that make use of "open hardware".
The phrase "open source' is the topic of more debate than one would expect, with many nuances and forks. A collection of some general definitions can be found in the links below:
While it is hoped that the list below will elucidate a number of open source projects, there is now a space below for closed, or seemingly closed projects, too.
As for the definition of "hardware", there is an opportunity here to reassert a definition that is not limited to computation. Artifacts such as D-Lab's Bicilavadora, a pedal powered washing machine, certainly employ wares that are hard, and can even be picked up at a hardware store.
Insert your link here, and re-organize as you see fit!
- Obviously: Public Lab Tools
- John Keefe, Team Blinky, Cicada Tracker
- Many Labs
- Low-Cost Illuminated Threat Alert
- The EyeWriter
- Between the Bars a paper based blogging platform for those who are incarcerated.
- Environmental Sensing and Visualization, Public Design Workshop
- I, Citizen, The Activists Board Game, Museum of Contemporary Phenomena
- Mesh Networking, e.g. Byzantium, Commotion
- DiY Bio Printer
- Particulate Air Pollution Sensor
- Sound Generating Protest Flag
- Overpass Light Brigade
- Pedal Powered Generator
- Smart Citizen Project
- Open Source Beehives
- Global Village Construction Set
- Safe Cast
- OpenROV Open-source underwater robots for exploration and education
- AirPi Air quality sensor shield for Raspberry Pi
- Open Source Civic EV Kit
Not, or seemingly not open, but inspiring nonetheless: