This is the latest version of Public Lab's DIY Desktop Spectrometry Kit -- the Lego Spectrometer. It addresses issues of rigidity, sourcing, modularity, and image quality over previous versions.
We've been making and distributing [Do-It-Yourself spectrometers](/w//spectrometry) since 2011, and have been through [4 major kit versions](http://store.publiclab.org/collections/spectrometry) and hundreds of different community contributed modifications, new versions, changes, and more.
## Get a kit
This is an open source kit, so you can just build your own -- but to **order parts for a kit**, visit the Public Lab Store:
## Design goals
Over the years, we've identified a few really critical improvements that have been tough to solve:
* easy to source parts
* modularity - working together
* image quality
Our mission is to make it **easier, cheaper, and more accessible to do environmental monitoring**, and to do that as an open source, collaborative community. And of course part of that is cost -- while people build upon our kits with more expensive options and upgrades, we want the basic kit to be extremely affordable.
## Quick start
## Building your Lego Spectrometer
## Spectrometry activities
## Spectrometer calibration
_Tinkercad model, below_
### 3D models
* Tinkercad: https://tinkercad.com/things/43IqCTHE7Iz
* Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2711528
### 3D brick models
Lots of great brick models are available here: https://printabrick.org/ and on http://thingiverse.com
* assorted standard bricks: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2626413
* holey bricks: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1095326
* sloped brick: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:527185
* corner L brick: https://printabrick.org/bricks/2357
* brick w/ peg: https://printabrick.org/bricks/2458 (I used this instead of a 1x2 hole brick + a friction peg, because I couldn't find a model for the brick)
Brick dimensions are nicely described in this diagram from Wikipedia:
Print files for the black cardstock insert can be [found here](https://publiclab.org/notes/abdul/10-19-2016/foldable-paper-spectrometer-instructions). ...